Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Advice from the Green Room

A couple of months ago I was working with comedian Robert Hawkins at the Kansas City Improv. After one of the shows he said, 'If you really want to make it big in comedy you have to get more personal with the material. Dig deep, no matter how painful the truth is. That's when the best material will come out. Then you will stand out as a comedian.'

Great advice. I think he's right. Any one can write an 'airline peanut' joke, but only I can write about my life, my experiences. "Life" is what people will relate to.

I am fortunate to work with some of the biggest names in comedy. I began to wonder what other advice these comedians could offer to up-and-coming comics like myself. So my friend, comedian Andrea Caspari, and I decided to interview these comics Gonzo-style before, during, between, and after shows asking them how they prepare, how they write, how they know what's funny and what's not funny, etc. My hope is that by reading these interviews you will find at least one piece of advice that will help take you to the next level.

No comments: