Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Theo Von

You remember Theo Von from MTV's Road Rules and Real World/Road Rules Challenges. He has been in the comedy scene for about 4 years and has had some early successes including appearances on NBC's "Last Comic Standing" and on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.



I was opening for Theo and Drew Hastings at the Improv. Andrea stopped by the club before her show on the other side of town. Theo had just hurt his back and was layed-out on the couch waiting for the Vicadin to kick in. So we just lounged around the Green Room and talked about his comedy journey.



Theo had an interesting approach to comedy. It was more of a personal goal for him to just try it, reach a certain stage in his career, then move onto something else - leaving comedy behind. At one point in the interview I asked if it was possible to just walk away from comedy...




Getting Started


AGR: How did you get started in comedy?

Theo Von: It’s just something I wanted to do. I don’t watch that many comics. I don’t like getting their thoughts stuck in my head.

AGR: How has your persona as a reality star helped in comedy?

Theo Von: I feel like in some ways [Road Rules Season 9] helped out…so, there’s nothing I can do about that. I planned on being a comic before…at least trying it…it just happened in that order.

AGR: How different are you on stage than you are in person?

Theo Von: I think I’m a lot more talkative and fun on stage than I am in real life. It’s probably a personality I would be happier being.

AGR: What’s your aim on stage?

Theo Von: I think my whole goal in the beginning of comedy was I just want to sell the idea that I’m a likable guy. That’s one of the things people always told me. That’s my goal, to have people feel like we got to kind of hang out for a little while—“We had a good time with that guy!”


Make Me Laugh


AGR: How do you create a joke?

Theo Von: Just getting up on stage. After awhile you start to know when something will kind of work or when it won’t.

AGR: How do you know what to keep and what to discard?

Theo Von: One, of course, what they laugh at. And two, what you laugh at, I'm learning. You have to keep some of that, too. Even if they don't laugh.

AGR: You keep stuff even if it doesn't make the crowd laugh?

Theo Von: Right, otherwise it gets boring. Some of the stuff you say for them but the other stuff you have to say for you.


Phone a Friend


AGR: Do you write?

Theo Von: I don't really "write". I usually just put down things I think about before I go to bed or I'll write them down when I wake up in the morning. I leave myself messages on my phone all day - like three or four a day.

AGR: Ideas or full jokes with punchlines?

Theo Von: Just ideas.

AGR: How do you hash them out?

Theo Von: I usually just throw them in as maybe a one-liner to see how they even adapt to the idea. Half I keep and try.

AGR: How important is working clean?

Theo Von: I like to try to keep jokes clean, but…I try to not write any more [wiener] jokes if I can help it…but sometimes you have to do some because people laugh at ‘em.

AGR: What advice would you give to up-and-coming comics?

Theo Von: Do your own thing. How would you ever get to new levels if you didn’t do your own thing?

No comments: